ALL You Need to Know About Baby’s First Bath
There are many questions and questions that parents ask themselves when and how they have to do baby’s first bath. Normally, they feel insecure and anxious and, with some fear, mainly when they are new parents, and they have to bath their baby. They wonder how they should hold it and what precautions they should have.
It is normal for all first-time parents to have doubts and have lots of questions about the baby’s first bath.
Many do not know what the ideal temperature of the water is or how they should put it in the water or what is the best way to get it out of the bathtub, or how to hold it so that it does not slip and fall from the arms or what time to do ti But, quiet, are normal doubts, shared by many parents.
Although there are many nerves and fear, go through that experience is unforgettable, because bathing the baby is a great opportunity to transmit love and safety. Therefore, it is worth advising: What are the care that should be taken? What is the correct way to hold it?
1.- At what time is the first bath of the baby recommended?
Specialists recommend performing the first bath of the baby when it is between 7 and 15 days old. In that time the umbilical cord has already fallen and, therefore, possible infections are avoided. In addition, the duration of the bath should not be long: no more than 5 minutes.
2.- What is the ideal water temperature for the baby’s bath?
The ideal temperature should be between 36º and 37º. To control it, the mother must touch the water with the elbow or the forearm, since the hands are always accustomed to the change of temperature.
On the other hand, the amount of water should be approximately 10 centimeters. Thus, the baby will be supported in the bathtub and can perform movements without risk.
3.- What things are needed for the first bath of the baby?
For the first bath of the baby, it is essential that the mother has everything prepared; That way you will feel more secure.
Among the things you should have are: a proper bathtub or tub, an area for undressing the baby, neutral soap, baby shampoo, hypoallergenic oil, petroleum jelly , cotton eye, cotton swabs for the ears and nose, alcohol, a comb, cotton towels and diapers.
Hygiene and something else in your baby’s bathroom
The baby’s bath is a great opportunity to transmit feelings of well-being to your child. Being submerged in warm water relaxes and pleases the baby, and doing it every day at the same time, as, for example, before dinner, provides the right environment to enjoy a good night’s sleep . Take this moment to establish a special contact with him, which strengthens your emotional bond .
How to bath, step by step process:
When you have all the material collected, wash your hands and close the door and window of the room where you bath your baby.
- Make sure that the ambient temperature of the bathroom is warm and ranges between 23 and 25 ºC Then, check that the bathtub is clean and fill it with warm water. The water must be at body temperature, that is, between 35 and 37 degrees Celsius. You can use a bath thermometer or, if you prefer, use the elbow or the inside of the wrist to check that the temperature is appropriate.
- Next, undress the baby, clean the area that is in contact with the diaper and wrap him in a towel, while cleaning his face and ears with a piece of slightly damp cotton.
- Next, hold the baby with the right arm, so that the inside of the elbow holds his head and your hands touch his bottom.Tilt it over the tub and, with your left hand, wash his head with a minimum amount of shampoo.
- Once the head is washed, hold the baby’s shoulders with one hand, introducing the fingers under the armpit, while holding the legs or the back with the other hand, so that his head is out of the water, while you use the other hand to wash it.
- It is important not to stop smiling and talking to him while you bath him.
- With or without sponge, wash, rinse, and dry from top to bottom. First the chest, the little arms, the hands and then the legs and the feet.
- Carefully rotate the baby to wash his back and buttocks.
- Wipe his eyes with damp cotton in clean water, not with the same water with which you bathed. You must clean them from the inside out.
- Once it is completely clean and well rinsed, lift the baby gently.
- Dry it well with towel, and wrap it to warm it.
- Start dressing him up and down so he does not lose heat.
How to bath a newborn baby
Newborn babies can also become familiar with the bath from the first day. In fact, they love water, which reminds them of the environment in which they developed for 9 months inside the womb. Before undressing the baby and wrapping it in a towel, with a cotton cloth lightly moistened in saline, first clean his eyes. Then, introduce it little by little in warm water and bath, cleaning it gently without rubbing. Dry it carefully, giving it a light touch with the towel. Before dressing, it is important that you check the umbilical cord and navel area. Clean it in its base with alcohol of 70 ºC and wrap it in a clean gauze. If you notice that the umbilicus oozes or presents a reddish color and bad smell, you should tell the pediatrician.
There are some special cares you should consider during your baby’s bath:
- You should never leave your baby alone during the bath.
- The use of talcum powders or colognes is not recommended, mainly in the first months.They can trigger allergies.
- The height of the bathtub should be appropriate to the height of the person, who is bathing the baby, so that it does not suffer the back.
- Always wash the bath tub before and after use.
- It is important to thoroughly dry all the folds of the baby’s skin , especially those under the chin, behind the ears and the diaper area.
- Take advantage of bath time to check the baby and rule out rashes, inflammations or other problems. See if there is a milk crust on the head.
- Remember to always smile and talk to him while bathing.
- Avoid getting discouraged if your baby cries a lot during their first baths.With your pampering and the appropriate environmental conditions, The baby will end up getting used to it and will come to enjoy this moment of pleasure.
The first bath of the baby should be done considering certain precautions.
In conclusion, the baby’s first bath is one of the most pleasant and beautiful moments a mother can enjoy. Therefore, if you are a beginner and feel fear of bathing, don’t worry, with these tips you will see that everything will turn out well.
If you choose the right time, he will relax and begin to enjoy more of this time. Therefore, you must transmit tranquility and joy; If you are very nervous, you can ask a family member or a friend for help