20 mistakes with the bath of the newborn that you need to avoid
Understanding a newborn takes time. There are many needs that demand, little dexterity, intuition and care, so you can succeed to become a ‘super parents to test everything’ One of the main fear that we face with the newborn is when it’s bath time, especially the first days. It is normal to make some mistakes at the beginning, especially among first-time parents. Here is the list of mistakes that you should avoid with the bath of Newborn.
When it is time to go to the bathroom, sometimes insecurity invades us (perhaps because we are new). We don’t want to make mistakes, and our nerves invade us. But with love, tenderness, caution and patience we dissipate those fears. We must follow a series of steps to avoid missteps in this routine and thus avoid making mistakes. Bath time should be a time for relaxation and sharing with the baby. Here are the major mistakes to avoid.
1. Leave the baby alone.
The newborn should never be neglected for a second, both in bed and in the bathtub, because he could suffer an accident. It’s a matter of a second.
2. Not taking care of water temperature.
Do not forget to measure the temperature of the water, as it could be either very cold or very hot. We must remember that the baby’s skin is much more sensitive to changes in temperature. The correct temperature of the water to bath it is between 36.5 and 37 ° C.
3. Too many chemical products.
Use hygiene products such as shampoo, soap, talcum powder, cologne, creams, as they can cause allergies or alter the pH of the skin-irritating your little body. Remember to use only neutral soap.
4. Air currents.
Leaving the windows open or allowing drafts to cool the baby is a very common mistake that you can avoid with a little caution.
5. Not having things at hand.
Not having the items available that we are going to use including (clothes, towels, diapers, etc …) at the time of the bath.
6. Not drying completely.
Another big mistake is to dry incompletely the body of the baby, we must ensure that there is no moisture between the folds.
Do not wait to give the first bath to the baby to fall the navel.Varies according to cultures, but normal is a daily bath to provide hygiene and comfort to the newborn.
8. Forgets washing the bathtub.
We should wash it before and after bathing the baby.
9. Not using the bathtub.
Bath the child out of the bathtub, on a surface where the baby is not in the water, is another of the basic errors. The newborn cools easily, could cause a cold.
10. Too much time.
The bathrooms at the beginning must be very fast. There is no fixed rule, but if you give a lot of time to the newborn’s bath, the water could cool down.
11. Bath in the bathtub with dirty parts.
The area of the diaper must be cleaned before introducing it into the water.
12. Not holding the baby firmly while bathing.
You must hold the baby firmly, or it may slip easily. Also, in this way you provide security.
13. Perform cord healing before bathing.
Post-bath umbilical cord healing should be postponed.
14. Not following a logical order.
Do not forget to follow an order at the time of bathing: wash the head, face, body and last genitals.
Remember that you should not rub the umbilical cord while you giving a bath. You could hurt the newborn.
16. Child cries while bathing.
Never, never, lose your nerves. If your baby cries, try to calm him down. If you don’t succeed, terminate the bath as soon as possible.
17. An inappropriate baby’s position.
Placing the baby in improper positions inside the bathtub, causing it to slip, is another most common mistake.You should also avoid the soap getting in the newborn’s eyes. You should take care of the neck and head of the baby while giving bath.
18. Excessive rubbing of the skin.
Excessive rubbing of the skin could cause damage, don’t forget that the skin of the newborn is very sensitive.
19. Using a swab to clean ears.
Swabs or swabs should not be used to clean or dry the ears.
20. Soap on the face.
You should not apply soap on the baby’s face.
Advice for bathing the newborn
It is very important for you and your baby, at bath time:
- Enjoy the opportunity you have with your baby, in each touch and each moment.
- Don’t forget to immortalize those magical moments, take the opportunity to take a photo!
- Try to create a schedule and routine for the shower so you can create discipline and this process will be easier for you.
- Provide comfort during and after the bath to the newborn, this will help him to be relaxed, sleep better and to adapt the environment easily.
- Use cotton towels to dry the body and try another towel for the face and head.
- Wash your hands properly before the baby’s bath.
- Avoid hypothermia by being careful.
- As the weeks and months pass, you can incorporate special oils into the water.
- Try to give a massage after the shower or bath. It is also an excellent way to communicate with your child, making him feel safe and loved.
The most important thing is to create an atmosphere of tranquility, take advantage of contact with the newborn to smile and talk to the baby. This way you will be calmer and will provide security. When your baby grows, the bathroom will become one of the funniest moments.